Sunday, August 2, 2009

eye of the camera

alley off of 7th Street and Palm Lane, Downtown Phoenix
If you take enough pictures, you will soon feel yourself transformed. The camera is no longer just an instrument to document events, but it becomes an extension of yourself. No longer are you seeing things in the same way, now it's all in a camera's perspective; a still moment, a lonely fragment, something special.
When I see something visually interesting, I want to photograph it. It's like the camera is my way of absorbing and understanding the world. It's gives me an excuse to contemplate the light, the person, the scene, in one little piece of time. And then later, in the completed photograph, I can decompress the situation, disecting the elements as if they had some special meaning that would not readily be seen, except in a photograph.
taken 01/20/2007

1 comment:

BLS said...

Ive heard of an alley cat but not an alley dog. He is certainly keeping an eye on you.